Samer has extensive experience leading complex audit engagements for global investment banks, FTSE 100 banks, sovereign wealth funds, investment managers and international banks (including a selection of top ten banks founded in the Emirate). He has directed the audit of a number of financial services teams of clients that have multi-location operations, in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. This in turn has aided him to mastering the art of identifying issues and themes on the ground and converting these into insightful Board feedback adding greater value.
He was instrumental in the formation of the UK Islamic finance practice and developed new products and solutions to deliver to all UK Islamic financial institutions, FTSE 100 banks and global investment banks, which saw him becoming de facto UK Head of Islamic Finance in 2009 and Global Head in 2013. Samer has also completed a secondment to the British Government to lead on the delivery of a strategy to develop the UK as a hub for Islamic finance in the West as well as deliver a strategy to increase financial services trade between the UK and the Arabian Gulf states.
As Global Head of Islamic Finance, Samer played a key role in the industry lobbying of the British government which resulted in the launch of the UK Government Sukuk which was oversubscribed 10 times.
Samer is an avid public speaker having presented at industry conferences on Islamic finance and is often quoted in the press including the Financial Times, Sunday Times and City AM.
- BSc Economics from the London School of Economics
- Certified Islamic Professional Accountant, AAOIFI
- Diploma in Islamic Banking and Insurance
- ACCA Certificate in IPSAS
- Fellow Member of the ACCA
- Associate Member of the Association of Corporate Treasurers
- Member of the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment
Industry roles held:
- Treasurer and Member of the Board of directors of the Arab Bankers’ Association in the UK
- Member of the Audit Committee of the Arab-British Chamber of Commerce in the UK
- Vice-chairman of the CityUKMENA Business Advisory Council
- Member of a UK Panel advising the Chartered Securities & Investment Institute in the UK on the development and launch of a global qualification in Islamic finance.
- Co-founder of the African Bankers Forum, a joint initiative with the Business Council for Africa and a leading Big Four.
- Formerly member of UK Islamic Financial Services (UKIFS) and Chairman of the Accounting, Tax and Regulatory group for Islamic financial services related matters.
Awarded ‘Global Islamic Finance Adviser of the Year –International 2014’ by Professional Sector Network.