Hisham is the CEO of Grant Thornton in the United Arab Emirates, as a dynamic leader who has a professional and academic footprint in the United States, United Kingdom and across the Middle East region, he is known to be the driving force behind the growth strategies of many private and public organisations, who today continue to mature under his mentorship and strategic input. With over eighteen years of professional and commercial experience he has led high profile advisory engagements for some of the largest groups in the region.
Hisham is known as a key influencer in the UAE for family owned businesses, having worked with and advised leading family members in the region for a number of several years on their growth and investment needs. He has also worked closely with numerous financial institutions in the UAE, mainly advising them on regulatory and compliance matters. Hisham has also supported many firms in dispute resolution, and has acted as an expert witness on a number of arbitration cases across industry.
He sits on various boards including a renowned regional investment firm, and is a patron and avid mentor for dynamic SMEs and entrepreneurial businesses. Hisham also mentors a number of start-ups and works closely as an entrepreneur with Techstars, Reach and Endeavour, a global not for profit organisation who support multi-million dollar SMEs. He is also a board member for Grant Thornton International and an advisory member of Fintech Galaxy, whilst regularly providing strategic advice to the GCC chapter of the 30% club. He actively supports the young leaders of tomorrow through various initiatives including working with the government sector to support Emiratisation and develop UAE Nationals.
Academic background and memberships:
- Harvard Business School, Program for Leadership Development
- Oxford Leadership Programme, Oxford University
- Partner Development Program, GTI
- The American University in London, MBA Finance
- The American University in Cairo
- Member of the Corporate Finance Faculty
- Registered Auditor, UAE Ministry of Economy
- Registered with the Ministry of Justice
- Licensed Insolvency Practitioner with the DIFC
- Member of the Board of Governors for Grant Thornton International Ltd., London
- Advisory Board Member of Fintech Galaxy
- Member of YPO (Young Presidents' Organization)
- Mentor for Endeavor, Reach, 30% Club - GCC Chapter and TechStars
Amongst the top three in the Middle East & Africa as recognised in the 2015 International Accounting Bulletin Power 50 list ranking.
He regularly publishes thought leading content and articles in a number of established global and regional magazines including Arabian Business, Global Citizen, and Accountant ME.
Hisham was cited by the National Newspaper as being “the right hand man for Dubai families” (1 April, 2014) and is well known within the region as being a specialist within this business arena. He has published a related white paper on “Leading the future in the Middle East: The evolving role of owner managed businesses” and regularly writes a blog sharing his perspective on relevant issues.
A selection of his articles to date have included:
- The rules of engagement for family-owned businesses
- Dynamic changes in the Boardroom
- Gender Agenda
- Financing environment for SMEs
- Growth and economic review
- Guiding SME growth
Along with actively writing about key issues and topics, Hisham is also an active media spokesperson with regular interviews on CNBC and Dubai radio channels.